Residential Care homes are just that, residential homes. They are regular houses, in regular neighborhoods. From the outside looking in you would never know that the home may be licensed by the state, exactly the same as a large assisted living facility seen in commercial areas. Below are 5 reasons that residential care homes are a great alternative to a larger facility for your elderly loved one:
1. The homestyle environment gives seniors the opportunity to feel as they are still a part of a “family”.
2. The low resident to staff ratio allows caregivers to provide each senior with the one on one attention they deserve. Residents tend to have less incidents & falls because of the constant oversight by staff.
3. Most residential care homes offer “all inclusive” rates allowing the families & resident peace of mind & security when planning their financial future. The rate commonly includes meals, snacks, activities & assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, toileting, urinary or bowel incontinence care.
4. For those suffering from Alzheimer's disease or other dementias, a small residential care facility can be an ideal setting. Many licensed homes are Memory Care Certified! Furthermore, memory care residents tend to feel more comfortable in a home-like environment versus a large facility.
5. Daily or weekly respite care is usually offered & is a great way to test out the scenario before committing to a move. Respite is also a great way for the current caregiver to take some much deserved personal time perhaps a night out or a weekend away.
In a residential care setting, seniors still have the ability to carry on as normal a life as they wish or are able. They can go shopping and have friends and family visit whenever they want. If given the choice, most families will choose residential care over nursing home care for these reasons. When investigating permanent options for your aging loved one, remember, a nursing home is NOT the only option.
Editor’s Note: Article provided compliments of Kristy Wilson, licensed nurse & proud owner of Dignity Senior Care Homes, Senior Care in Texas and Senior Care Advisors, LLC. Kristy has over 20 years of experience with Alzheimer's and Dementia patients